I was thinking about the day that I met Bella at the pet store...
I was getting new tires put on my car at Sears because I had to do a lot of driving between Minot and Grand Forks during my transition. It wasn't going to take too long so I decided to walk around the mall. I had always avoided the pet store because Matt was allergic to animals so a dog was out of the question. I was walking out of Sears which happens to be right by the pet store...I passed it and walked around for a long time. On my return to Sears, I had a moment...
I stood outside contemplating going inside. Finally, I got up the courage to go in. (It sounds retarded but this was a big deal for me). My heart just melted....I saw the miniature dachsunds (my mom's dog, and our first family pet, Koby is a mini dachsund), the labs, pugs...and then...the chihuahua shiz tsu mixes...
I stared into the glass and watched Bella (the female according to the pet store) play with her brother for EVER. The pet store employee asked me three times if I wanted to hold one and I kept saying no because i knew if i held one, that i would be hooked. Finally I gave in...I walked around holding her for 20 minutes just going back and forth about whether or not I should buy her (a little spendy for an unemployed college student in the process of divorce and moving back home) My heart sank when I had to return her to her brother. I went home and thought about her all night long.
I woke up the next day and had to return to Sears to have my new tires balanced, I made a stop at Wells Fargo on the way and found myself back in the pet store just looking at Bella. I held her and walked around with her for a while and decided there was no way I could give her back. I picked out her "firsts" and then made my way back to Sears toting Bella and her accessories.
I like to think that Bella was just what I needed at the time. I was so alone and needed someone beside me during my move and divorce. Bella went everywhere with me; Target, WalMart, you name it she was toted along. I have never once regretted my decision, even when she has accidents, barks, chews apart my iPod cord, you name it. She saved me from a very dark and depressing place. She makes me smile and laugh everyday.It is comforting to know that we will always have each other and she will always be there to make me smile when times get tough. I love her and think she is one of the best investments I have ever made.
Continuing my journey...with Bella
No comments:
Post a Comment