Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Magic City

I was sitting at the Minot Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting the other day and had a small revalation... I am proud to be from Minot, North Dakota...

First a little background...
I grew up here and couldn't wait to leave after I graduated from high school... I hated it here in this small town and wanted to move to a "big city" one day. I moved to Grand Forks, ND and attended the University of North Dakota... it is the biggest university in North Dakota and I thought it was a start to my big city life style...

In May of 2009 I didn't have any other option but to move back to Minot and live with my parents. I was less than thrilled and thought it would be very temporary. The first few months were pretty tough. I left my whole life in Grand Forks and just wanted to go back.

One day I got tired of feeling sorry for myself and decided to pull my head out of my... well you know...

Now back to reality...
I am sitting  at the Chamber Annual Meeting and I was listening to Marney (Gellner) Mathiason speak of her successes and how she got there and I realized... Minot really isn't that terrible... She graduated from Bishop Ryan High School and is now a reporter with Fox Sports North. Now I was at this meeting because of my involvement with the Young Professional's Network. That organization is what helped me see what Minot REALLY has to offer... As I got more involved with the organization and made friends, I opened my eyes to the little treasures that Minot possessed... A community that's citizen's care about each other and go out of their way to help each other and truely love their neighbors.
Thankfully I got involved and opened my eyes to see that a small town can offer so much... Minot is thriving and I am proud to say that I live and work in this wonderful community.

Continuing my journey... a proud Minot Citizen

1 comment:

  1. I love this, Sara! I read a book once that said it actually takes more courage to stay in your home town than it does to leave and "start a life in the big city."

    ReplyDelete